Saturday, 26 August 2017



Here another detail shot of the mechanism and the stonework. 





























A prominent detail of the construction: The lower most gearwheels were protected (from flooding?) by some sort of fenders. They seem to be of zinc coated sheet metal (may be it's more artistic license then reality), so I tried to represent that kind of surface by using a new technique copied from figure modelers: the wet-in-wet acrylic method. As basecolor I used Citadel game Color, Boltgun Metal. Then I applied very thin cloudy coats of creamy white and traces of dark and light rust. This technique allowes you to control the colors carefully. 



 

Monday, 20 March 2017







As I had described bevor, the whole arrangement is dividided in an underwater and a surface zone. So the unbeloved creeping up the bank and walls can be prevented. As a consequence I had to poure in all parts up to the waterline, i.E. the walls, the piling and the water gauge.





The river was poured in several layers with "Heki aqua". I'm quite happy overall and the stuff is very easy to handle indeed. There were only two or three air bubbles I had overlooked. But they were no problem, as they could be opened up by drilling and easy filled by the next layer.  





























Friday, 10 February 2017





Actually I am trying to bring all those different parts together. As I am forced to scratch build all parts I can't adjust them on the screen first. Often I have to redo or modify them with every newly finished part. That's very time consuming. To avoid boredom I am working on several different subjects simultaneous. On one day its the grundwork, then on the gears or the brass work.

Friday, 6 January 2017




Shortly before I could finish the underwater part of the pillar, this part of the stonework slided off from the table and...  broke into pieces.
So, back to square one and here ist the result! I tryed to create those stones more porous as they had been exposed to the water.
The colors seem to me still too vibrant and I have to tone them down a bit. But the greenish shine on some oft he stones I discovered more by accident than by experiments. I added some grass flocks to the cast compound and those green flocks gathered at the deepest point of the mould, giving the stones a slight mossy appearance.